A6 Simmenfluh tunnel
The Simmenfluh tunnel on the A6 between Wimmis and Latterbach has been equipped with an emergency gallery that runs laterally from the middle of the tunnel to the exterior.
The Simmenfluh tunnel is on the A6 in Wimmis. Just beyond the tunnel, the stretch turns into a cantonal road – Simmentalstrasse. The tunnel is 700 metres in length. It was constructed in the period from 2000 to 2003, and at that time complied with the applicable safety standards. But the introduction of new safety standards meant that it had to be equipped with an emergency gallery. A 130−metre escape gallery has been constructed. It runs laterally from the middle of the tunnel to the exterior. The exit is located on the cantonal road. The escape gallery was put into service in summer 2016.
- Date of handover of Simmenfluh tunnel to traffic: 11 November 2003
- Length: 700 metres
- Duration of construction of escape gallery: 2015 to 2016
- Costs for construction of escape gallery: Approx. 6.6 million Swiss francs
- June to July 2015: portal section
- August to October 2015: excavation of gallery
- November 2015: breakthrough into tunnel
- December 2015 to April 2016: completion of emergency gallery
- May to August 2016: completion of construction project